Monday, March 2, 2015

Lesson Notes: 
Trail Walking

by Mary Gallagher


I'm so fortunate to have good walking horses. I don't know how I got so lucky. Maybe one reason is they are connected to the ground or grounded (barefoot). Maybe because they are free in their shoulders and back. Maybe because they are living as a herd, moving and playing with their friends all day.




In my show career, a good walk was very important. In the hunter arena the judge wanted to see a horse walk freely forward in a relaxed manner. When I was showing in the breeding divisions with my babies, the walk was judged as a way scoring natural ability. When I worked for Jimmy Williams, he taught me that the horses that had the better walks also cantered well, and consequently made for better jumpers and dressage horses. When I teach new ideas to my horses, I always teach in the walk first.

Once the horse begins to connect with the idea I move into the trot. Because a good walk is linked to a good canter the information transfers all the way up through the gaits.

 At home I like to look in the mirror as my horse walks by and watch the foot fall of the hind legs and relate that to what I am feeling in my seat, back, and shoulders.

This first week of May the weather has be extraordinary and we have had many opportunities to take our training outside of the arena and onto the trail. The trail is the perfect place to feel and connect to the walk, finding the rhythm of the hind legs, and the connection of the seat as the horse naturally relaxes and extends his stride. The effort of climbing hills at the walk, instead of trotting up, also helps me understand the suppleness I need in my lower back and arms to keep the connection.



Enjoy the weather, be safe and go trail WALKING. At the end of your ride you will feel the swing in the hips and the suppleness in your lower back and shoulders and best of all, you'll feel the connection to the horse's feet.

(Originally published June 2013; photo credit Rick Crimmel)