Monday, March 2, 2015

Lesson Notes: Achieving Goals and Having Fun

by Mary Gallagher

As I muse over my teaching and training life at Freedom Farm I feel deeply grateful for having Kenny Hall as one of my trainers. So many things have become clear since we began my fitness journey. Even better, the things I have discovered in myself are true for my horse.



Here is what I have found for myself:
  1. Goals are easier to achieve when you share them with friends;
  2. Goals = a million tiny goals (and a few sore muscles);
  3. The more you break your goals down into smaller pieces the faster you get to the end result;
  4. The goal you achieve is always greater then the one you thought up in the first place, so relax a little and enjoy the ride;
  5. With each goal you achieve you grow exponentially as a person.
  6. And here is how I relate these insights to horses:
  7. Have FUN with your horse everyday;
  8. You can leave your horse with a micro success and he will always be better the next day;
  9. Focus on the good stuff, hide a little bit of the tough stuff inside the good stuff, and remember everything is good;
  10. Dream big and act like a kid; your horse is your best teacher.
  11. Be humble; your horse is never wrong.
 Oh, and: have fun and laugh!

(Originally published July 2013)