Monday, March 2, 2015

A Tenderfoot Hubby's Experience at Beach Camp

By Kip Tulin (husband of Magnum's owner, Mary)
 
When Mary and I moved to Sequim in 2010, one of the thoughts that did not enter my mind was, "Gee, now I can be around horses!"  I guess the universe had different plans in mind. Mary started riding at Freedom Farm last November and I would accompany her from time to time to watch what she was doing. My prior experience with horses was long enough ago that the rental horse I got at Rocking Horse Stables, Burbank, CA, was an eohippus....but still a bargain at two dollars an hour. What a revelation to hang around at Freedom Farm!
 

Since those first days, I have gradually spent more time here. Being around the Farm during Mary's lessons, helping with Magnum (including sweepin' and scoopin'), taking pictures at Hoof Beats shows and other events, and one actual lesson in ground work, I progressed from being somewhat fearful of these 1200 pound 4WD oat burners to enjoying them. However I did not have a passion to actually ride. So when the universe spoke again it came in the form of an invitation from my wife to join her at beach camp, along with an offer from Kathy Schmidt to let me ride Snickers if I did go. I accepted the kind offers and I'm really glad I went: yes, there is much to learn, even at the tender age of 63.

Here are a few lessons and reflections from that very fun trip :
  • I am not particularly consistent with how I do things. Snickers was a gentle and persistent teacher in this regard.  I still have a long way to go, but I made a little progress....and isn't that what working with horses is all about?
  • Like so many other things in life, proper preparation is more important than doing the thing itself. I especially enjoyed learning Mary Gallagher's "grooming game". Oh, and check the cinch. And check it again. ...and again.
  • People are happy to help, especially when I ask. And although people say that there are no stupid questions, I'm sure I asked some at camp....but everyone was kind.  People, as well as horses appreciate clear instructions.
  • Although I had many patients during my career as a doctor, I lack patience. Again, thanks, Snickers, for putting up with me and also to all my human teachers who coached me through my moments of frustration and were gracious when this little cowboy had had enough for the day.
  • As the only guy along on this particular trip, I also appreciate Mother Nature's infinite wisdom in putting a mare in charge of the herd. 
Although I learned a lot about horses at camp, I learned a lot more about myself. I am cautiously considering--from the fence, so to speak--the prospect of riding lessons this winter. But let's see what the universe says.

(Originally published August 2013)