Thursday, March 5, 2015

Getting Hip to Horsemanship (and Hips)!

By Mary Gallagher


When I have seen photos of my riding position, I am always thinking, 'I need to get my leg under me, more perpendicular to the ground.' But when I adjusted my leg back, it wouldn't stay put!  In more recent photos and videos by Mary Tulin, my leg is right where I want it, but I can't say that I have been consciously working on it. What is up with that? I wondered. Here's what I realized: 



In our weekly Riders Fitness Workouts with Kenny Hall (at AnyTime Fitness), Kenny has been really emphasizing the flexibility of our hips, over the past month or so. Apparently it has had an effect! I am so pleased that I don't have to concentrate on getting my leg under me; I just needed to stretch and strengthen my hips. And the greatest part was that I could do it with simple exercises off my horse. 

Please join us in our weekly riders workouts. Your happy horse and effective riding will be a worthy reward!

Schooling, with and without stirrups.
The first photo is from our new video, "A Day in the Life at Freedom Farm"

 (Originally published December 2014)