Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Fitness at Freedom Farm: The Purple Lump of Thanks

By Mary Gallagher
 
I am so happy to report that this week, once again, I thanked my personal trainer Kenny Hall (at Any Time Fitness) for my fitness health. Usually I thank him because I am performing something with my horse that I wasn't able to achieve in the past, but this week I owe him a big, purple lump of thanks.



Physical fitness is important to me because riding is a very physical sport, with a big risk factor. I want to ride well for my horse so the work we do is the best I can offer. As riders, fitness, balance, core strength and stability are major factors in what we achieve. Riding horses requires us to be ready for the unexpected, which is why I am writing this article today.

Here's my story: Just the other night, Jerry and I and the dogs were returning home from a trip in our camper truck, and I had a mishap getting out of the camper at the Ferry terminal. The dogs had been riding in the cab with us for some time and were due for some water and a walk. After our walk, I headed to the camper for Jackie and Beasley's water bowl. I did not unfold the camper's step over the bumper as I should, and I distinctly remember thinking to myself how easy it was to just grab onto the ladder and climb in the door with one big step and one big pull. When I came back out of the camper with the bowl of water, I stepped down from the camper onto the bumper and the folded up step lying on top of it, which then lowered itself, sending my legs flying out from under me, dropping me onto the bumper and then to the pavement.

For me, the fall wasn't any worse than falling off a horse. The now-empty water bowl was still in my hand. My first thought was whether I could get up, and then, should I get up? I did a quick check for pain. I had pretty much landed on my butt on the pavement, after hitting the bumper. There was a BIG ouch on the outside of the left hip where I'd hit the bumper. My wrists, elbows and head were ok, without even a scratch. The next thought through my mind was a great big "Thank you, Kenny!" for helping me achieve a level of fitness that protects me from injury.

Since I started working out three years ago, I have fallen off my horse twice, and out of Jerry's camper twice. On each occasion, I have gone through this mental check and finished with a great big sense of gratitude to fitness and my health.

You never know when you are going to need those core muscles in a pinch to keep you in the center of your horse after a big spook. Maybe you would like that extra layer of muscle around your thigh to protect you from a blow from your truck bumper, or a horse hoof.  So why not start today working on a little health insurance at the gym? You will be glad you did. All I have to show for my pain, thankfully, is a big purple bruise on my hip, a great reminder that I am determined to maintain my fitness!

(Originally published September 2013)