Thursday, September 7, 2023

Building Emotional Fitness in Yourself and Your Horse

Wendy Comstock on 3-year old Marcus for the first time.

by Mary Gallagher

It seems like this year we started more horses than ever. They just kept coming every month and we (Jerry Schmidt and I, with our special student Elise Dean) got into the flow of playing with young, promising horses every day. Pretty fun work, when you understand it! Anyway, with the days getting shorter, and knowing that soon the last of the babies will go home, I’ve been reflecting on what really stood out for me over this time with them. Overwhelmingly, the piece that means so much to me and connects our work with each of the horses is building their emotional fitness.

I guess it really started for me in March. Martin Black was here and we spent each morning of his clinic starting colts. Watching Martin set the horses up for success was a revelation for all of us. He called it “making ‘special forces’ horses”. You had to see it to believe it—Martin worked deliberately and calmly with those youngsters, providing a still point and authoritative guide for their progress from being upset babies to well-oriented young saddle horses ready to carry their first riders.

Martin Black starting colts, Freedom Farm

Marcus and Oliver, Elise & me soon after the clinic
So Martin came and went, and a series of young horses came to me for starting. And so Jerry, Elise and I got to practice what we learned from Martin. I must say that this year I have been able to do more for my horses’ confidence and emotional strength than ever before. I have been working with my horses’ emotional fitness for decades, of course, but I feel that this year, especially with Martin’s example, Jerry as a training partner, and Elise’s willing help, I got to the next level.

Setting up situations for the horses to find a correct emotional answer is hard to explain, and I highly recommend watching a master do it, then seeking out some coaching along the way as you develop your own abilities. Some of us have it in us to grow to be emotional fitness coaches for our horses, but it takes observation and practice under the guidance of the right teacher. As Martin and Jerry like to say, “You have to be able to make the trip!” If not, that’s okay. Stay safe and find a good trainer and riding instructor.

But for those looking to grow their horsemanship in this way, whether you have a young horse or a long time partner, I encourage you to find a master teacher to help you intentionally grow your own and your horse’s ability to handle more challenging situations. Taking a horse that’s worried and unsure, and little by little developing him into a horse that is confident and not bothered—that you can trust and that trusts you —is a great feeling and so worth the effort!

I’ve shared my journey over the years through the Wise Horseman Blog, up to and including sessions with Martin. Here are some of my favorites which include emotional fitness (including some very doable exercises):

Growing Our Horsemanship With Martin

Lessons in Tuning Your Horse and Yourself

The Leadership Gauge Part Two

The Horse, the Environment, and You (Leadership Gauge Part One)

Giving the Horse a Pathway to Solve Problems

Trees Can Help Your Horse Find the Feel

Honoring the Horse's Learning Process

Marcus and Oliver go on their first trail ride with friends! They were sent from Wensleydale Farm in Oregon, and are owned by Wendy Comstock.





1 comment:

  1. Teaching horses that they can find the right answers and that they can negotiate things that may seem scary in the beginning sets them up for a lifetime of confidence and success with their human partners. I'm grateful for everything our horses from Wensleydale Farm have received in the course of working with Mary, Jerry, and their team at Freedom Farm.

    ReplyDelete