Monday, April 4, 2016

Kenny's Fitness Corner: A Triple Whammy Squat

 by Mary Gallagher, with coach Kenny Hall, fitness trainer

During our Monday morning Fitness for Riders class, I asked Kenny to give me and our students an exercise to help with shoulder position, and he gave us a triple whammy: an exercise to work on our 1) balance, 2) seat position in the saddle, as I 3) open up our shoulders. Once again, I got to be the model for this post:


In a quarter squat, while I push my hips back, I place my hands on my lower back and work my elbows like a butterfly, first out to the sides, then back, holding for 5 to 10 seconds in each position. Then I repeat the same sequence, but with my hands turned over.

With palms toward back; also flip hands and repeat motion for different emphasis.

Follow this with a similar exercise with fingertips at the back of the head, same butterfly motion:

I found that both these exercises opened up my shoulders, while the quarter squat with weight rocked back toward my heels got me working on my balance. Finally, as I pulled my elbows together, my hands assisted me in stabilizing my pelvis.

Give these triple whammy, triple benefit exercises a try (but of course, check with your doctor if there is any question whether you should). Be sure to repeat daily for a big difference in your posture!

Wow, Kenny! Thanks so much.

No comments:

Post a Comment